A Snowy Day at Tuttle Creek

Sadly, the March 11th Spring Clean-Up run at Tuttle Creek ORV park in Randolph, KS was postponed to April 8th because of inclement weather. I had planned on camping at Fancy Creek campground for a weekend of work and fun, but after hearing the weather reports, I decided it was best to stay home and have a relaxing weekend with the dogs.

That was until the next morning, when I woke up to no snow in Omaha. The weather seemed really good down until just north of Manhattan, and made a spur of the moment decision to take a ride down. A couple friends were staying in a cabin in Manhattan, and I figured if the weather was too bad to wheel, I would hangout with them.

So I packed up the Jeep, said goodbye to my dogs, and hit the road.

The ride down was pretty uneventful. I did manage to find a historic landmark, one I've never been to (well, to be honest, there are a lot I haven't been to... but I'm narrowing down the list!)

I ended up getting to the Kansas border without seeing a single snowflake. All of a sudden, about 20 miles north of Randolph it started snowing like crazy. 

Thankfully the Banana Jeep got me safe and sound to Randolph, where I met up with a few other people who had gone down to camp the weekend. They were heading out on the trails, but I elected to proceed down to Manhattan to meet up with some other friends.

After meeting up and cooking a nice lunch with my other friends, we took a ride up to the park after the snow stopped. That is where the real fun started...

As I watched the Jeeps crawl over the rocks and make their way out of the rock garden, I heard there was a dead Jeep in the middle of the trail. Someone left their lunch box plugged in and killed their Jeep... lol. No fear... Banana Jeep to the rescue!

After jumping the YJ, there was only one way off the trail. To proceed forward. I have never done the rock garden at Tuttle, and being on 31s with open diffs, I hadn't given much thought to attempting it before. I figured, what the heck... I have new sliders and new skid plates, and I was itching to test them out. I had also just put a ton of spare axle shafts in the Jeep, so forward I went.

And boy oh boy, am I glad I did. I had a ton of fun crawling over rocks, pushing some out of the way, and even got hung up on a few.

Check out some pics from the day...